Looking for yoga poses that can help you lose weight? We have curated a list of the best yoga poses for weight loss that are effective and will help you lose wieght in no time!
Mindless work outs and diets hardly yields any results; instead exhaustion takes over as the body gets mired with aches and pains.
- Related: Yoga Exercises To Fight Cellulite
- Related: Easy Yoga Inversion Poses That Beginners Can Try
- Related: Superb Yoga Exercises For Women To Keep You In Shape
Losing weight is a long drawn process that involves a good amount of motivation and the right attitude. Moreover, dieting and exercising seems far-fetched especially for those dealing with work and home life pressures on a regular basis.
In fact it is a myth that going to a gym or following a strict diet helps in weight loss. Therefore, what is the solution?
This article will familiarize you with an ideal plan to lose weight that can be practiced within the comforts of home.
Yoga is a great way to tone your muscles that eventually leads to weight loss. Listed below are a few yoga poses that apart from lowering anxiety also helps to bring down your weight.
Practice regularly and try and hold on to these postures for as long as possible, from a minimum of 15 to 20 seconds to a maximum of one minute.
Yoga Poses For Weight Loss
The Warrior Pose
The warrior pose stretches and tones the muscles of the thighs and shoulders, strengthens body and at the same time assists in weight loss.
- This yoga pose requires you to be in a lunge position
- Extend your leg (left or right) forward
- Bend your knee ninety degree position so that the thigh stands parallel to the floor.
- Make sure that your other leg is extended backwards.
- Keep your body in an upright position and while you exhale slowly outstretch your arms wide apart.
Practicing this yoga pose regularly also improves blood circulation.
The tree pose strengthens the abdominal muscles as well as tones the thighs and arms.
- First you need to stand straight keeping your feet together.
- Then slowly shift most of your body weight on the left leg.
- Raise the right leg while keeping the right foot facing inwards.
- You may use your hand to hold the right ankle to assist in pulling;
- Then place the heel of the right foot on the inner thigh of the left leg.
- Keep your hands raised above your head while all the time making sure that your palms are upturned towards the ceiling.
In this you need high levels of concentration to maintain your body balance.
Forward Bending Pose
The forward bending pose is one of the best yoga poses that helps in weight loss. This asana is apt for getting a flat tummy as it stretches the hamstrings and tones the leg and abdominal muscles.
- Stand straight with your feet close to each other
- Inhale while slowly raising your arms above your head
- Now bring your body to a forward bending position in a way that your head touches your knees and your palms touches the floor
- Hold this position for at least thirty seconds after which you can exhale and return to the original position.
The Chair Pose
The chair pose strengthens the muscles of the arms and legs and at the same time stimulates the diaphragm and heart.
- Stand in an upright position and while you inhale raise your arms so that they are perpendicular to the floor.
- You can leave the arms facing parallel to each other or you can even join the palms, whichever feels comfortable .
- Now exhale and bend the knees so that the thighs lie parallel to the floor.
- Your upper torso should be bent forward and the tailbone extended towards the floor.
- Remain in this position for at least thirty seconds and then slowly come back to the original position.
The Bridge Pose
The bridge pose works wonders for weight loss as it tones your thighs, shoulders and the abs too.
It even reduces menopausal symptoms by controlling stress and anxiety all of which are responsible for weight gain.
- Lie down flat on your back and slowly bend your knees so that the feet remains flat on the ground.
- While spreading your knees exhale and raise your body from the pelvis area.
- While doing so ensure that your head and neck remains flat on the floor.
- You may use your hand for assistance if you are doing for the first time.
- When your body becomes used to this pose you may even clasp your fingers below your raised back for further stretching
Yoga Poses For Weight Loss: FAQs
Will 20 minutes of yoga help lose weight?
Practicing yoga for 20 minutes everyday will definitely help you improve your flexibility but won’t help you lose weight fast. While short yoga sessions are great to build flexibility and calm yourself, it’s not so effective when it comes to weight loss, and building strength and endurance.
Which yoga burns the most fat?
Kumbhakasana or the plank, is the most popular yoga asana that has proven to burn fat in your stomach and also tone your muscles.
Can yoga poses help you lose weight?
While practicing yoga is meant to improve the connection of your body with your mind, there are some types of yoga that can help you lose weight as practicing yoga also means that your burning calories. However, keep in mind that yoga is a way of life so you might not see results immediately bu rather eventually.
Can yoga flatten your stomach?
Yoga can help flatten your stomach and also help you lose weight overall. Thought, yoga is not an intense workout, it slowly does help you lose the extra pounds cause you’re still burning calories. Coupled with a healthy diet, yoga can do wonders for your mind and body.
How quickly does yoga change your body?
You’ll start seeing some changes in your body if you have consistently and properly been practicing yoga. It takes about 12 weeks, that’s about 3 months, for you to see some real change in your body because of yoga.
How much weight can you lose in a month with yoga?
While not all types of yoga can help you lose weight, there are some types of yoga that can help you lose upto 10-12 kgs in a month if practiced consistently and under proper guidance. You’ll probably have to do consistent long yoga sessions for this to work.
Is yoga better than gym?
Yoga and gymming are two very different types of exercise to compare. With yoga, you don’t need any equipment. With gymming you need to use all those equipment. Gymming can be too hard on your body but can definitely help you lose weight quickly. Yoga, on the other hand, shows results gradually if practiced consistently. It not only helps you lose weight but also tackles concentration, builds endurance, and improves overall health.
Why am I not losing weight doing yoga?
If you’re exerting your body too much then you might gain more weight instead of losing weight. Overexertion can cause excess inflammation in your body and the added inflammation on a daily basis can result in weight gain.
How many times a week should I do yoga to lose weight?
It’s recommended that you practice yoga at least 5 times a week consistently to benefit from yoga. Practicing yoga 5 times a week will improve overall health, you’ll sleep better, and improve your overall wellbeing
Do we become fat if we stop doing yoga?
You will not gain weight or become fat if you quit yoga. You’ll gain weight if you don’t maintain your diet and do some form of physical activity at least 5 times a week.
What should I eat after yoga for weight loss?
Salads, smoothies, fruits with greek yogurt, oats, nuts, tofu are all good options to eat after a yoga session to help lose weight.
Does yoga have side effects?
Most common side effects of yoga, especially when done incorrectly are: fatigue, muscle soreness, injuries like sprains.
Who should not do yoga?
If you are already exhausted, tires, extremely stressed, or in a hurry – then skip yoga for the day. It’s the worst conditions to do yoga in. For women, if you’re going through your periods then skip yoga for the time being. you can instead try relaxation techniques that will help keep your mood in check and also may help with cramps.
Is it safe to do yoga everyday?
It’s safe to do yoga everyday as long as you’re healthy. You can try practicing different types of yoga everyday to keep it fun and interesting.
Should I do yoga in the morning or at night?
It’s recommended that you practice yoga between 4AM and 6AM. If you’re unable to then try to practice yoga as early in the morning as possible before you do anything else or at the very least in the early evenings.
Can I do yoga on my bed?
Bed yoga is perfect for those who have wrist pain, sore knees, or other joint pains. Bed yoga involves breathing exercises and stretching exercises that you can comftably do on your bed.
Can I drink water before yoga?
You can drink water a few hours before your yoga session so your body is well hydrated before yoga. Drinking water a few hours before the yoga session will help your body absorb water properly.
Should you shower after yoga?
Don’t immediately take a shower after a yoga session. Taking a hot shower draws blood to the surface of your skin and also drains energy that you built up during the yoga session.
Should yoga be done empty stomach?
You can have a light meal a couple of hours before your yoga session so you have the energy to stretch and hold yoga poses. However, make sure that you don’t have a heavy meal just before the yoga session as it can get quite difficult to do yoga with a full stomach
- 8 Effective Yoga Asanas To Stimulate Your Nervous System
- 6 Yoga Poses To Do Post Dinner For A Sound Sleep
- 9 Interesting Reasons Why Yoga Is Beneficial For Women
Hey there! I’m the CEO and Chief Editor of WomensOK. My aim with WomensOK is to make sure that any women in this world, regardless of their body type or color, is able to find solutions about health and wellness that’s best suited for them.