Want to lose belly fat quickly? We curated a list of aerobic exercises to reduce belly fat and get flat tummy. Check it out!
Aerobic exercises do not just improve blood circulation in your body, keep your heart healthy, tone your body in good shape but they are also known to be the best exercise regime to reduce belly fat.
Walking, running, swimming and dancing are some of the simplest yet most effective aerobic exercises, but the list is not just limited to that only.
- Related: Types of Aerobics Dances and Its Benefits
- Related: Do these Warm Up Exercises Before Cardio
- Related: Exercises to reduce your fat around your Hips
There are various other aerobic exercises as well, most of which you can practice at your home and still get the desired results.
Aerobic Exercises To Reduce Belly Fat
Tap backs does not just help you lose belly fat but also strengthens your belly muscles and tones your thighs.
How to do tap backs?
- Step 1: Stand straight with both your arms stretched forward without any bent at the elbows.
- Step 2: Now, keeping your knees soft, bring your right leg back. Stay for a second and bring it back in its initial position.
- Step 3: Then, do the same action with your left leg.
- Repeat the action with both your legs one by one continuously in a rhythmic motion.
While you do this exercise, make sure your face and shoulders must be facing forward and must not move a lot from their position.
- Related: How to get rid of muffin top waist
Punching Boxing Bags
Punching boxing bag with your hands covered in gloves is another great full-body aerobic exercise.
Just two to five minutes of boxing daily will activate your whole body, make you more energetic and help you lose weight quicker than other exercises.
In fact, when it comes to weight loss, punching boxing bags is always a much better alternative to running on a treadmill.
- Related: Best Exercises To get Rid of FUPA
What I really love about bear crawl that it helps so many muscle groups and doesn’t require any equipment. It increases your heart rate and engages back muscles, abdominals, and obliques to stabilise your body. The bear crawl is a dynamic warm up as it warms up all the major muscle groups and improves flexibility.
How to do bear crawls?
- Step 1: Get into a plank position with your body’s weight borne on your toes and hands in such a way that your entire body should be stretched straight and flat
- Step 2: Now, bend one of your legs in order to crawl or move forward
- Step 3: Repeat it with the second leg
Keep moving or crawling like this as fast as you can. To do that efficiently, you should put most of your body weight on your hands and keep your legs as free to move as you can.
Keep doing it for at least a minute without any break. If you do not have enough space to crawl that much in one direction, you can change the direction as per the availability of the space and can even crawl back.
- Related: How to get rid of Jiggly Arms
Jumping jacks is a very simple aerobic exercise which is used both as a cardiovascular training and warm-up workout. Jumping jacks helps improve your bone health and reduces the risk of osteoporosis. Other than burning calories, jumping jacks also improve you heart muscles and reduce blood pressure.
In this exercise, you just have to jump while standing in one position in a way that your legs spread wide and hands go up clapping overhead, and then, both the legs and hands return to the initial position.
- Related: How to reduce your fat in arms
Jogging In Place
As compared to running on treadmill or jogging outside, a much easier alternative is to jog in place. Whether it is winter or summer, you can do it in the comfort of your home.
But, you must do it with an intensity that should get your heart pumping.
How to jog in place?
Start by jogging light while standing in one position.
- Step 1: Hop from foot to foot by lifting your feet one or two inches above the ground.
- Step 2: As you gain some momentum, start moving your arms as well just like you do while jogging outside or running on a treadmill.
- Step 3: As you gain more momentum, start lifting your feet up to your knees in a way that your thighs should be parallel to the floor.
Keep increasing the speed also as you go on. The faster you jog, the faster you will lose your belly fat. But of course, do not overdo it. Give yourself a break after five minutes and then you can do a few more sets.
Butt kicks can help you increase your hamstrings and improve flexibility, especially if you’re a runner.
Butt kicks also improve Improves neuromuscular effectiveness which basically means this exercise can help improve the communication between the muscles and nerves leading to better coordination.
How to do butt kicks?
- Step 1: Stand straight while keeping your feet as wide as the width of your shoulders.
- Step 2: Now, keeping your hands bent at the elbows, kick your left foot back so that your heal touches your butt and bring it down.
- Step 3: Repeat the same with your right leg
- Step 4: You can start slow and then increase intensity till you look like your jogging in the same position but with your knee almost perpendicular to floor when you lift it your leg back
Burpee is also known as squat thrust. This is a full body aerobic exercise, which you can do in four to five simple steps.
How to do burpees?
- Step 1: First, stand straight.
- Step 2: Then, drop your body on floor into a squat position.
- Step 3: Now, throw both your feet backwards in such a way that your body gets into a plank or push-up-like position.
- Step 4: Stay in this position for a second and then bring your feet forward, back into the initial squat position, and then, stand up straight.
- Repeat the actions as quickly as you can for best results.
- Related: Mat Exercises You Should try
Hula hoop is another great aerobic workout for weight loss. If you have never done this fun exercise before, get a larger hoop because they spin slowly and give you enough time to adjust to its rhythm.
How to do hula hoop?
- Step 1: Put the hoop in the ground and stand inside it.
- Step 2: Then, grab the edges of the hoop and bring it up to your waist.
- Step 3: Keep your legs wide apart. Now, putting the hoop on one side of your torso, spin it firmly. Spin it clockwise if you are lefty; counter-clockwise if you are right-handed.
- Step 4: Keep moving your waist in circular position to keep the hoop spinning. If the hoop goes below the waist or falls down on the floor, bring it back and spin it again.
If you don’t know how to use a hula hoop, check out the video below:
If you’re an expert at hula hoop, try this full body hula hoop workout:
You can use a sturdy immovable box or a bench to do this exercise. Beginners should get a box which is mid-calf height. Box jumps are a great way to improve your lower body strength. Box jumps focuses on strengthening glutes, calves, glutes and quads.
Box jumps are especially beneficial for athletes as it can improve your athletic performance by improving explosive power
- Step 1: Stand straight in front of the box with both your feet shoulder width apart.
- Step 2: Now, you have to jump up and forward in a way that you land safely and firmly on the box. To do this, start by bending your knees and sending your hips back.
- Step 3: Now, swing your hands bent at the elbows backwards and then swing them forward while jumping up on the box. This way you get a good balance and will land safely
- Step 4: Stay there for a second and then land back in standing position.
Sprinters Sit Up
Sprinters sit ups is an amazing and most effective way to to lose belly fat and also strengthen your core.
Sprinters sit up strengthen and tone abdominal muscles rectus abdominis (aka the six pack), transverse abdominis (deepest of the 6 abdominal muscles), hip flexors, and obliques. The Sprinters sit up also works your chest and neck.
How to Splinters sit up?
- Step 1: Start by lying flat on the floor in such a way that your legs should be extended straight in front of you and hands lying straight in a relaxed way on your sides.
- Step 2: Keep your back and head straight and firm.
- Step 3: Now, bend your right leg on the knee, and while you do so, bring your upper body up at a right angle on the floor in relation to your other leg.
- Step 4: Hold this position for a second and then lie back in the initial position.
- Step 5: Repeat the same action with the other leg. Keep doing it in a rhythmic motion for at least ten times.
The Corkscrew exercises work the obliques and abdominal muscles. Along with burning calories, the corkscrew exercise works the hip flexors and lower back.
How to do the Corkscrew exercise?
- Step 1: In this exercise, you first have to lie down flat on the floor while keeping your feet together.
- Step 2: Now, lift your legs up while keeping them together and without bending them at the knees, in such a way that your legs should make a right angle in relation to your upper body which is lying flat on floor.
- Step 3: Now, rotate both your legs together in air while keeping your core tight. Keep both your hands below your lower back from the sides. This will give you extra support and make the exercise much easier to do.
Jumping lunges are basically lunges with a jump. The difficulty level is slightly high than a normal lunge since you have to jump and shift your weight while doing lunges.
Jumping lunges are a great way to get your heart rate up and this exercise engages your hamstrings, hip flexors, quads, glutes, and your calves as well.
How to do jumping lunges?
- Step 1: Stand straight while keeping your arms bent at the elbows.
- Step 2: Now, jump up while throwing your right leg forward and left leg backward in such a way that when you jump back down, your left toe and left knee should be touching the ground and the right leg should be making a ninety degree angle at the knee with its thigh parallel to the floor and foot flat.
- Step 3: Repeat the action with alternate legs.
Keep doing it in a rhythmic motion for at least two to three minutes.
Donkey kick not only help reduce belly fat but also work on other muscle groups. Donkey kicks works your glutes and your buttocks. This exercise is especially recommended for someone who has a desk job cause it works on yoru shoulder muscles and core.
How to do donkey kicks?
- Step 1: Start by getting into a high plank position by lifting your body weight on your hands and knees and toes, as shown in the picture.
- Step 2: Now, jump one of your feet up in the air in a way that the corresponding knee should come in a straight line with your hip, back and shoulders.
- Step 3: Now bring that foot back and repeat the same action with the other foot.
- Step 4: While you do this exercise, make sure you do not bend your hands at the elbows and keep your shoulders firmly in line with your straight hands.
Flutter kicks engage your ab muscles better than any other workouts, including crunches. This exercise works your lower back muscles, quads, and hip flexors as well. Flutter kicks also recruit your heart muscles by increasing heart rate thus improving cardio muscular health as well!
- Step 1: Lie down straight on floor on your back
- Step 2: Then, bring both your legs up by bending them at the waist but without bending them at the knees in such a way that the legs should make a ninety degree angle with the rest of your body.
- Step 3: Now, move your legs in such a way as if you are running or walking in the air
- Step 4: Make sure that the leg that comes down toward the floor should always remain at least one or two inches above the floor
- Step 5: Keep your core tight while doing this exercise and increase the speed as you go on.
Plank jacks are really full body workout cause it works and strengthens both your upper and lower body muscles. Plank jacks can not only help burn calories and reduce fat but also improve core strength and stability.
How to do plank jacks?
- Step 1: Get into a push up like position with the weight of your body borne on your toes and elbows while your forearms should be flat on floor.
- Step 2: Get both your hands locked tightly, and then, start throwing your feet first apart and then bringing them back together.
- Step 3: While you do this exercise, keep your core tight for best results.
Last, but not the least, if you are serious about losing belly fat, you must walk a lot. Take the stairs instead of the lift and dance wherever you get a chance.
Dancing is not just fun but also a very effective aerobic exercise to lose belly fat. Besides that, it also makes your body flexible and keeps your body in best shape.
You can choose any types of dance – be it salsa, belly dance, cha cha, zumba or any other dance.
The result would always be equally awesome. All these aerobic exercises will increase the blood circulation in your body, which will make you sweat a lot, which in turn would help you lose belly fat.
Hey there! I’m the CEO and Chief Editor of WomensOK. My aim with WomensOK is to make sure that any women in this world, regardless of their body type or color, is able to find solutions about health and wellness that’s best suited for them.