Here’s how to slim down your hips – perform these 8 simple but effective exercises to slim down your hips in no time. Check it out!
Are your hips getting in the way of wearing those slim fit jeans that has been lying in your wardrobe or the one that is selling like hot pancakes.
- Related: Aerobics Exercises and its Benefits
- Related: Aerobic Exercises To Lose Belly fat
- Related: Exercises To Get Rid Of Muffin Top Waist
Do your A-line dresses not fit like they should and do your fit and flare dresses look blown out of proportion waist down? Well here are a few ways to lose the extra fat around your hips and get those dresses to fit perfectly.
How To Slim Down Your Hips
Standing Side Kick
This works on your inner thighs, quadriceps and your outer hips.
How to do standing side kicks?
- Step 1: Keep your feet aligned with the side of your hips
- Step 2: Slowly extend any one of your legs sideways
- Step 3: Raise your leg for three counts
- Step 4: Keep your inner thigh parallel to the floor.
- Step 5: Hold the position for a count and bring the leg back the initial position for another three count
- Step 6: When you bring your leg back down, do not touch the floor
- Step 7: Repeat the same for fifteen counts and switch sides.
You can also use the cable at the gym for this exercise
Or you can just do it without the cable at home.
- Related: Exercises to get Rid of FUPA
This targets your inner thighs, hamstrings and outer hips.
How to side jumps?
- Step 1: Stand with your hands on your hips and hop three feet to the left.
- Step 2: To do this, use your left leg to shift your position and bring the right leg behind the left
- Step 3: Return to your right by hopping to your right
- Step 4: Repeat the process till you have completed thirty counts in total, i.e. fifteen on each side
Hip raises targets your hip flexors, outer thighs, outer hips and glutes.
How to do Hip raise exercise?
- Step 1: Lie down on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor
- Step 2: Slowly lift your hips and point your toes.
- Step 3: Hold for a count then lower your hip
- Step 5: Repeat the process ten times before switching sides
Traveling Squat Kick
This exercise will work on the thigh muscles, glutes and quadriceps.
- Step 1: Bring your hand to your hips or fold them and hold them near your chest.
- Step 2: Kick your right leg out on front of you as high as possible and bring your leg down in a squat position with your feet flat on the ground.
- Step 3: Take a step with your left foot and close the gap so that you are standing straight with your feet together.
- Step 4: Do the same on the other side.
- Step 5: Repeat the whole process for thirty counts, that is fifteen counts on each side.
- Related: Exercises To Reduce Arm Fat
Work your outer thighs, glutes and hip flexors with this exercise.
How to do leg raise?
- Step 1: Kneel stand and bend forward and straighten your arms with your palm downwards, like a crawl position.
- Step 2: Lift your leg out to the side keeping the inner thigh parallel to the floor and the other leg in a ninety degree.
- Step 3: Kick your leg diagonally upwards so that your heel is kicked towards the ceiling.
- Step 4: Return your left leg to the floor
- Step 5: Do the whole process ten times before you switch sides.
You can increase the number by two to five counts on a daily basis till you can do a fifty on each side without being exhausted or straining your legs.
The Seated Hand Push
This exercise works on your outer thighs and hips.
- Step 1: Sit on a chair which is sturdy
- Step 2: Rest your feet on the floor and bend your knees, making a ninety degree with your legs
- Step 3: Place your arms firmly on the side of your knees
- Step 4: Keep your arms steady and push your knees outwards against your palms, like you are trying to push your arms away with your knees
- Step 5: At the same time, press inward with your palms preventing the thighs from making an outward movement
- Step 6: Hold the position for thirty seconds and repeat the process thirty times.
- Related: Exercises for Women To Lose Weight
This exercise works on your hips, butt, stomach and thighs. It develops the muscles in these areas and helps with losing fat and overall toning.
- Step 1: Place your feet hip-wide and interlock your fingers and hold your hands near your chest
- Step 2: Put your weight on your heels and push down while pushing your buttocks outwards as far as you can while keeping your thighs parallel to the floor.
- Step 3: When your thigh is parallel to the ground, pause and push back up. Repeat the process ten to twenty times.
Stand straight with your feet together. You can do the exercise while wearing sneakers or bare foot but do not do it with only socks on as you may slip.
- Step 1: Bring one leg forward till your thigh is parallel to the ground and feet flat on the ground. Repeat the process ten times for each leg
Exercises To Slim Down Hips: FAQs
Is there a way to get smaller hips?
Your hips bone size is fixed and cant be changed. The best you can do is reduce the fat around the hips to give an illusion of smaller hips. Some exercises that can help you reduce fat around the hips are: squats, lunges, travelling squat kick, seated push ups, hip raises, and side skater jump.
How do you lose big hips?
You can exercise and eat healthy to reduce overall fat in your body. There are also specific exercises that can help you reduce fat in your hips, glutes, and thighs like squats, lunges, travelling squats, leg raises, hip raises.
What causes hip fat?
Consuming sugary foods and drinks, processed foods, and refined carbs builds stubborn fat in the thighs, hips, and butt.
How long does it take to reduce hip fat?
You can lose fat on your hips by being on a calorie deficit diet, which means, that you burn more carbs than you consume. To see visible results in a months time, aim to lose about 1 kilo per week.
Does squats reduce hip fat?
You can perform squats using your own body weight so you don’t have to worry about having any equipment to perform this exercise. Squats help lose fat around the hips, thighs, and buttocks.
Does running reduce hip fat?
Running helps lose fat all over your body and not just your hips specifically. As you start running, you’ll lose weight and shed fat all across your body including your hips. Run for about 30 minutes a day to see some results in 4-5 weeks.
Does cycling reduce hip fat?
Cycling strengthen your lower body and also helps reduce weight over all. Cycling won’t reduce fat just around hips but you’ll weight all over your body. You can either opt for long rides which will result in low-intensity workout or you can go for shorter rides with high intensity riding in intervals.
- How to shed water weight
- Strengthen your back with these exercises
- Benefits of Frog Jump Exercise and How To Do It
Hey there! I’m the CEO and Chief Editor of WomensOK. My aim with WomensOK is to make sure that any women in this world, regardless of their body type or color, is able to find solutions about health and wellness that’s best suited for them.